Friday, April 24, 2009

Just some non-review observations...

Ok, I started this blog with good intentions. You know, to help people make more informed decisions regarding their reading material. (It's not going to end world hunger; so sue me.) I was new to the whole blogging thing. I had the gist of it, but hadn't really even read a blog before, let alone become a 'folllower' or anything that stalkerish.

In the last week or two, however, I have read more book review blogs than any sane person has a right to. And I have come to the conclusion that they are actually kind of useless as a reference tool. Ten people reviewing the same book are going to have ten different opinions, and most likely they are going to span the entire scale from one to five stars. I mean personal opinion is certainly not a science. It is just opinion and nothing else.

So that begs the question, "What are we doing with our time??"

And here is my answer:

I have a overly-high opinion of my opinions LOL. I think I am right. Of course, that is probably not even remotely true 90% of the time. But that doesn't mean I am going to shut up or even that I should.

The bottom line is that we (the whole blogging community) are doing ourselves more of a service than anyone else by spouting off our thoughts and feelings regarding the creativity of strangers. But that's ok. It's constructive and possibly even helpful for the small percentage of people who happen to agree with us :)

4 comments:

  1. I review books as well. I tend to believe that if you find a reviewer that fits your taste then you will be more apt to visiting often.

    I have bought books from reading several reviews from different blogs or on suggestion of a commenter.

    So even though we don't serve a large mass of people we do serve some. Sometimes we even make friends along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree -- we are more likely to infulence the people whose tastes and opinions we already share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a blog where I review books and I haven't been doing it that long. I had no idea what I was doing, I hadn't even read that many blogs, but it's sure been fun learning. I think we do tend to take recommendations from sites that are the most similar to our own tastes but it's fun to visit lots of places to see what's out there. I also think it's just fun to post on our own blog, at least it is for me. I don't have any expectations of having a million followers or starting a great movement with my words. I'm just having a good time, meeting nice people and reading lots of books. I hope you're enjoying it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am having a blast. And I am in no way belittling what we do. I am glad to have found my niche in a cyber world that never really seemed to have a place for me before :)

    ReplyDelete